For me, Christmas has always been a time of being grateful for so much more than the material gifts, especially now that I'm older there's really no need to waste money for the sake of it. Of course, some material gifts are also such a blessing to have. This year especially, this has been something that I have constantly reflected upon. A lot of people will say to focus on the positives when we're feeling a low, but I believe that going through difficult phases in our lives does exactly that. They make us more captivated to all the good things that happen when they do.
I was initially going to do this in an A - Z format but it wasn't working very well! I had multiple ones for one letter (especially s!) whilst others like z and y I struggled to think of something. However, I wanted this to be a genuine and meaningful list so resorted to just scribbling down the first 30 things that I thought of instead (30 rounding up from the 26 that would have been listed in an alphabet format). So, here they are:
- Guidance - coming to uni I honestly thought that I would be left to sort
myself out but that could not be further from the case and I am so
thankful for the sheer amount of advice and direction I continue to
receive.
- Acceptance - how you feel, your strengths, your needs, the paths you
would like to take, and so on. Being able to be accepted and feel
accepted in yourself has to be one of the most relieving feelings.
- A Roof - it's such a privilege. Not knowing where you're going to live or
if you will have anywhere to live in the near future has to be one of
the most frightening situations to be faced with.
- Sleep - to be able to get a decent night sleep now is a true blessing.
For the good dreams that we have during sleep as well that help us to
time travel to re-live the good ol' times.
- Animals - they bring us so much joy, whether that's by making us a smile
as they walk/ waddle/ swim past or watching videos of them doing the
most hilarious things.
- Emails - for those of us who would rather email before making a phone call conversation, or an efficient way of asking quick questions and receiving updates about all sorts. I don't know what I would do without this invention!
- Kindness - strangers telling me to have a good day, helping someone in
need, charity donations, including someone in a conversation; making a
positive comment. They all seem basic but mean the world.
- Laughter - moments of genuine laughter that help you to forget about
everything else that is happening and to simply live in the moment are
special times.
- Medication - something that many of us use to manage various health
conditions or even for the odd headache that stops up from sleeping, the
stomach upsets, the flu, and so on.
- Privacy - I'm at an age where I can have my own space and people don't
have a choice but to respect that (although it's a bit of a struggle at
times!). What I want to keep private can stay private and it's great.
- Warmth - although it could be so much worse, I have a really bad cold
intolerance, so I really value the moments when I'm not cold or
shivering as I'm trying to get to sleep.
- Research - most of what we understand comes from all kinds of research. It enables what we already know to be challenged and updated, advancing treatments, knowledge about human behaviour and cognition, and improving public services.
- Psychology - if you have read my posts you will know that I have a new-founded appreciation for Psychology and so much of my blog is dedicated to exactly that, so I'll leave this point here.
- Scarves - when am I ever seen without one? They keep you warm and acts
as a blanket in cold lecture theatres! It's also saved me from dropping
stuff on my top/ lap and leaving a stain!
- Hugs - not something I get often but when I do get them it's like a
moment where all the bricks from the wall you have built up collapse.
Hugs do wonders.
- Respect - I know that I have mentioned university a few times now, but
it makes you feel a sense of worth (if that's the right word) when you
are able to speak to people with a mutual level of respect both ways.
- Creativity - why creative arts are counted as a 'soft subjects' is beyond me. After all, doesn't almost everything first develop through creative or abstract thought? Then there's the artistic side similar to...
- Music - instrumental and lyrical. It has this extraordinary ability to
comprehend the emotions which we can't describe and provide words to
explain those which we can't articulate.
- Umbrellas - I'm sure it constantly rains in the West Midlands. Even with
an umbrella (and a hood) I walk into uni soaked and needing a
hairdryer. Nevertheless, umbrellas still save us from being completely
drowned!
- Sentiment - to feel sentimental is one of those emotions that can't be
described. Usually it's bitter-sweet and carries some highly valuable
meaning.
- Children - I have said this too many times, but they are so precious.
Often a soft reminder of the beauty that life can bring and the things
that we need to work on as adults.
- Internet - there's always so much negativity surrounding the online
world, but it can also be a place which makes you feel the least alone, a
learning platform; a place where you can take a needed break and
disassociate yourself from reality.
- Development - our brains may stop developing quite early on, but that
doesn't actually stop us from continuously gaining from the experiences
that we live through and that's something I will forever appreciate.
- Opportunities - to aid in the above but to also help guide us in the
right direction and be able to experience all sorts of things, whether
that's through travelling or career-related activities.
- Challenges - one of the best feelings is to overcome or see someone else overcome a challenge, whether that's a statistics assignment or a personal life event. They help to shape our perspectives and see everything in a new and motivating light.
- Planners - If you live without a planner, how? They don't only help you
to organise your schedule, but a place to keep track of your wellbeing
to (more on this in a post for the New Year!)
- Photographs - like the comment about having good dreams, they give you a chance to re-live some of those happy moments in your life. A snapshot can really speak a thousand words.
- Trees - they quite literally help us to recycle the air and help us to breathe. Also, they are really pretty and give homes to all sorts of wildlife so enough said.
- Smiley Faces - I don't know what it is about them, but it brings me so
much happiness when I get a smiley face at the end of an email. This
doesn't happen too often, but when it does it makes my day!
- Support - I cannot fathom how thankful I am for those people who continuously check up to make sure than I'm doing okay and who help to hold me up. You are all amazing.
What are the things that you are most grateful for coming out of this year?
I'll be back with another post in the New Year. For now, take care and:

The fact that you managed to come up with 30 tells me you're someone who is definitely very grateful about life!
ReplyDeleteChelle| www.chellebelle2016.blogspot.com
Aw, I love this idea! I think today in my journal I'm going to list things I am thankful for, too. Thank you so much for the inspiration! I definitely am thankful for many of the same things as are on your list. :)
ReplyDelete