Sunday, 17 May 2020

Can You Guess What I Am?

Hello! It feels like forever since I've posted on here. I hope everyone is keeping well.

I will get back on the blog posts on here once my exams are over and I have nothing else to do. However, I did get a blog post up over at OurWarwick titled 'The Debate: Arts vs. Science', so I will hypelrink that for the meantime! I try and post weekly updates on my Instagram (@universitywithaimz). It's mainly random Psychology and Student-Related stuff but come and say hello if you want to! It's so lovely seeing what some of you other Psych students get up to and following your jounrneys!

Aaron Burden | Unsplash
Over the weekend, I wrote a poem in about 30 mins. I wrote down some random words to use as stimuli (anything that popped into my head), listened to a few songs on themes that I associated with those words, and this is what came out. Goodness knows when the last time I wrote a creative piece like this was, so don't be too harsh. I definitely didn't sit there and think about all those language devices you have to incorporate back in GCSE English Lang!

I can't believe I'm sharing this.
Anyways, here it is.


Before you read on, I am going to add a trigger warning here just in case because it is quite sad...



Can you guess what the overarching topic is before you get to the last stanza?


I’m a bully who keeps taunting you,
And who never leaves you alone.
My words are constantly stabbing you,
As others tell you to just strengthen your backbone.

I’m a full camera crew that follows you,
Everywhere you go.
Every single speech sound and move,
Everyone’s watching, you know?

I’m those who tell you that you can’t do this or that,
Despite all the mountains you have climbed,
Your efforts are simply not enough,
For everyone else is far better polished and primed.

I’ll make you feel like you’re drowning
Deeper and deeper into the sea.
You’re broken and bruised but you keep fighting,
Wondering if I will ever set you free.

You fight to keep on following
The little light that lies ahead,
But can that little light be trusted?
For it could lead you trapped in a shed.

Although I can’t always be seen,
I’m constant like a shadow.
Even when the lights are out, I’m there,
No matter how far into your covers you try to burrow.

You plea to have a break,
“Is that too much to ask?”
Don’t worry, you won’t make a fool of yourself,
I’m something you will learn how to mask.

I am overthinking.
I am the voices in your head.
But if I were a physical person,
By me, would you still be led?


Did you get it?

I have a much more light-hearted post coming up next. I might get it up before my exam week starts, but we will see (that's a hint to mean probably not).

If there are any posts that you would like to see, let me know!

As always, please take care,

via GIPHY

4 comments:

  1. So powerful! I had no idea what it could be Until the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really brilliant piece of poetry! I hope you share more as I really enjoyed this x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem, loved it. Just one question, what's a stanza?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      It's essentially poetry terminology for the equivalent of a paragraph in writing that follows a particular structure (i.e.: rhyme, number of lines or words per each paricular line, etc.)

      Delete